To be alive is a privilege. And I am letting go of entitlements. Since my recent commitment to becoming a student of The Course in Miracles, celebrating my birthday seems like a good time to take stock of my life by bringing home the lessons and setting intentions for the new year.
There is so much I have learned and I know that I am only beginning to scratch the surface, there is a long way to go. Nevertheless, this is a good place to start.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff, always keep an eye on the big picture. My new friend in the picture here taught to me to keep the sights high and see the big picture. You can rise above and fly high that way. Soar.
- People will show you their light and their darkness. Don’t buy into their darkness, because it doesn’t exist. They may try and convince you of their darkness, carry the torch for them when they have forgotten their own light. Choose to only witness their light, until they find it for themselves again. Because they will. Love them anyway.
- Addictions – I have learned a lot about addictions lately. Addictions of my own and of others. Its always a cry for help. Its escape because the pain is too much to bear, there might be a lot of shame and guilt… Tell someone, shame won’t last once you tell someone you trust (and make sure they are worthy of your trust). Guilt – forgive yourself and forgive the other person. Get down on your knees and call on the higher power/creator/God (whatever you call it) to do for you what you cannot do for yourself. It will always answer the call. Yes, liberation from addiction is possible.
- Speak your mind clearly and in a way that is authentic to you. When you speak from your heart, you will be heard.
- Looking after my body and making peace with where its at. That’s a big one for me, I have struggled with body image for as long as I can remember.
- Relationships – people come and go, learn the lessons and remember only the good. The 2 most important relationships to nurture are the one with yourself and one with your creator. Every other relationship will take care of itself.
- Don’t put up with other people’s shit. No on has time for that. And don’t be an ass to others either. Be Kind. Always.
- Only love is real. All else – illusion. Don’t buy into it. Choose love anyway.
- Miracles do happen. keep your mind and heart open so you can witness their presence. For example, Before I came to Thailand, I had some well meaning people tell me to be careful of the people here and all the scary stuff… I had gone to a cafe one morning and I had my AirPods with me which I put in my bag while I was there. I enjoyed my coffee and then went on to get my hair done. I had used the toilet there and had left my bag unattended. I came back to the hotel and couldn’t find my AirPods in my bag. My very 1st reaction – someone at the hairdressers’ stole them from my bag and I wanted to go over and accuse them of stealing. There is always grace playing a part, something in me reminded of the Course in Miracles and I prayed for a shift in perception. I was guided to go to the cafe 1st and check with them before I go accusing someone of stealing. I decided to relax for a bit and then went to that cafe in the evening. I showed them a picture, they knew enough about me and the lovely man who had served in the morning had left my AirPods behind the counter knowing that I was going to return the next day. So I got the AirPods back. That man could have taken them and sold them on… There was my miracle. And thank God, I was given the wisdom to keep my mind open.
- Letting go off the family stuff… We carry out so many of our parents patterns into our lives. Deal with it – witness them, choose love and choose a new way of perception and being. No healing occurs otherwise and patterns repeat from generation to generations. Be the one who puts a stop to such non sense. I feel like I have done and I am still doing that. Its good to have the awareness and your future generations depend on you.
- Surrender and then surrender some more. I was talking to a friend and I said to her, “I am going to surrender this relationships stuff to God”. And with that statement, I was obviously deluded to think that I can handle every other aspect of my life. How arrogant of me to think that. You know God, I can handle it better than you can…LOL!!! Surrender it all!
- Beauty really does come from within. Kind and compassionate people are the ones truly beautiful.
I am sure I have learned more, however these are the lessons that seem to jump out when I reflect. Now onto creating a glorious future…
My Intentions for this new year:
- Live more mindfully and stay in the present moment.
- Pray – for anyone and everyone including myself.
- Choose love over fear – always.
- There will be times where darkness might take over, get down on your knees and ask for help.
- Meditate more.
- Appreciate more – myself and others.
- Make gratitude a daily practice.
- Stand for your beliefs – the ones that serve you and others. The rest of the beliefs – question the hell out of them. And change them if you need to.
- Nurture connections with others and nature.
- Keep your heart open no matter what.
- Exercise my body daily
With that being said out loud, I would like to express my gratitude to those in my life, in past and my future. I am truly grateful to have crossed paths with you in my life and so grateful for the love we shared. Thank you, thank you thank you!!!
Dear Future, I am ready for you 🙂